Written by: Bowi VanDijk
Today for our Edible Garden Project we started clearing the garden beds. When we arrived at our garden plot on campus, it was full of weeds that went as high up as out knees. There was one big pumpkin vine that went up the tree in the middle of our garden. We pulled out most of the plants other than the mint, the chilli tree, and the sweet potatoes, which we left to continue growing.
Our goal of the day was to have a garden that was looking well groomed with no weeds. By the end of the class, it just looked like a flat garden bed with a few random plants scattered around. When we finished picking the weeds, we shaped the beds. After shaping the beds, the soil was a bit dry so we watered it. Finding the water source to water the soil was a bit challenging because our school had cut the faucet next to our garden for that day. We ended up having to fill our buckets of water in a not-so-nearby the sink and carry them to our garden to disperse amongst the beds. Before the end of class we finally found a way to connect a hose to the bathroom sink which helped us work much more efficiently.